Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Web 2.0

Five years ago I never even really used the internet, now I’m on it constantly. I look up household questions on there, home remedies, and ideas for dinner, I even did Weight Watcher online. I use Facebook on a daily basis, I used to have Myspace too, but it was too much to have two social networks going on at once. I just started doing more shopping online. Before I would only purchase my school books on here, now I buy yard toys, clothes, and beauty products. I started my own online business a couple years ago, I’m no longer doing it, but I would sell product for another company and get a percentage of the profit from it. I also sell my used textbooks on Craigslist. The obvious is that I take online classes, when I started school back in 2008 I never even dreamed of doing online classes, now I take at least one a semester.
It’s crazy how much daily usage I get out of the web, I never even notice until now. I used to be afraid to put my credit card online, but now I will pay certain bills online and only order from certain websites. The business I was in said that by 2000 something more than 90% of the public would do all their shopping online and I’m pretty sure they were right, maybe I should have stuck it out. If you think of everything we can do using the web today, watch movies, talk to people in a different country using Skype, take college classes, and do all our shopping, etc it amazes me . In the next 10 years we won’t have to leave our house to go to the doctors you could do all the check up on Skype or drive your car it will automatically drive itself with all the technology we have in going into cars today. I use the web so much already I’m honestly scared of how much I will use it in the future. This class is already opening my eyes up to how dependent I am on the web there are some many more things that keep coming to mind that I use the web for and never even gave it a thought. I’m thinking that maybe I should take a step back from it and find alternatives to the web.

5 comments:

  1. Annmarie, It is amazing how far technology has come. Like you 5 years ago I hardly ever used the web and now it's a daily thing. I also wonder how far it will go. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Annmarie, Reading your latest blog post you sound like a large part of the population including myself. It makes me wonder with all the shopping, recipee seeking, and even question asking we all do online now-a-days is it really healthy. what is your take on this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annmarie, I think that there are a lot of people that feel the same as you (that a computer is becoming more of a part of daily living). I am 20 years old so I have grown up around a computer since for 7 years and before that we had webtv for awhile. My sister is now 13 years old and has her old laptop for a year now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annmarie, how are you? When I was younger, computers where so slow (remeber the good old dial up) and it was mostly for school to type a paper. But now it's faster, and it's a big part of my life now. I use computers now for everything from college to facebook, which I use quit a bit. Isn't it amazing how we use computers for a lot of just every day living now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since you already feel a little locked in to the Web you might consider (after this class please '-) a Web-fast. I did one right before class began and it was terrific! Of course I had to do my email and banking, but I didn't do anything like Facebook, research, games, etc. It was really a nice break and even now I find I'm not on FB nearly so much. It's so fun, but such a time-consuming practice.

    ReplyDelete